Athletics and VA Compliance Official
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 60995
The selected candidate has the option to work a hybrid work schedule. If a hybrid work schedule is confirmed, the selected candidate must be able to work successfully from a home/remote office and be able to fulfill the requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, applicants should attach their resume and cover letter when applying for a job opening. For guidance related to the application process or if you are experiencing difficulties when applying, please review the Applicant Resources on our Talent Acquisition website.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. Materials submitted after the IRD will ONLY be forwarded at the request of the hiring unit. To ensure your application is routed for consideration, submit your materials before 11:59 p.m. on the IRD. Talent Acquisition cannot accept application materials outside of the jobs portal, and is unable to update submitted applications on an applicant's behalf, or forward communications to the hiring units. For more information about the IRD and the applicant review process, view this link.
The IRD for this job is: 11-20-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
The Office of the Registrar maintains an accurate academic record for each student who enrolls at the University of California, Santa Cruz, and provides timely, accurate, and responsive services to students, faculty, staff and the public. We support student retention and graduation by educating and coaching students through the complexities of University policy and procedures. We enable successful progress toward students' dreams of advanced education and professional opportunities.
More information can be found at: https://registrar.ucsc.edu/
The Athletics and VA Compliance Official is responsible for supporting UCSC Athletics with NCAA certifications, certifying all non-NCAA club sports student-athlete certifications and is the lead Veterans Administration (VA) Certifying and Compliance Official as part of the Registration, Residency and Veterans Services team in the Registrar's Office. Working independently under general supervision, the incumbent uses professional Registrar student record based concepts, applies a level of breadth and depth with student record and service delivery practices, policies and regulations.
Applies advanced, specialized expertise in veterans certifying and compliance of Department of Veterans Affairs policy related to education benefits. Analyzes student residency for the purposes of tuition and fees. Advises students and their parents of University policy related to residency determinations and of the Department of Veterans Affairs policy related to education benefits. Resolves individual complex veterans certifications, athletics certifications and residency and registration situations.
Areas of responsibility include: contributions to policy development and implementation; participation with the Academic Senate's Committee on Educational Policy (CEP), Committee on Courses of Instruction (CCI) and Graduate Council (GC) in curriculum, course and program approval; academic advising and degree audit support; functional processing oversight of the Academic Information System (AIS) and other systems including for classroom and event scheduling; advocacy for renovations; enrollment and fee assessment; grading and transcripts; graduation and diplomas; maintenance of student academic record integrity; preservation of permanent student academic records; enrollment reporting and data analysis; protecting the privacy of student academic records; certification of veteran student education benefits; and determination of legal residence for fee purposes.
Budgeted Salary: $70,512 - $73,300.annually. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to post a reasonable estimate of the compensation for this role. The salary shown above is the budgeted amount the University reasonably expects to pay and the salary extended should not exceed this posted amount.
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Days, Evenings, Weekends
Employee Classification: Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus/Hybrid
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 006156 (REGISTRAR SPEC 3)
Travel: Never or Rarely
35% - Implementation of Registrar Core Functions
Develops and implements registrar core functions for veterans certification, athletic certification, residency and registration. Provides individual advising on non-routine, sensitive student record issues:
- For athletics functions, coordinates the analysis, planning and implementation of new procedures.
- Develops and implements forms to collect the necessary student information for certification and audit requirements; maintains e-files for students receiving DVA benefits as required by the DVA.
- Maintains log of Cal Vet college fee waivers; ensures the timely posting of the quarterly fee waiver credits.
- Organizes work flow to meet deadlines for billing statements, accounting disbursements and statistical reporting.
- Counsels and consults with veteran students and parents to administer the appropriate benefit(s) for the student's classification.
- Counsels and consults with prospective and admitted students and parents advising them with regard to residency.
- Assists the Residence Deputy with a large volume of in person, phone and written inquiries, advising students, parents and other seeking information about the UC residency requirements.
- Supervises work-study students.
25% - Records and Documentation
Analyzes a variety of student record factors and applies working knowledge of federal, state, University and outside agency laws, regulations and policies to determine student record outcomes focusing on VA, athletics, registration and residency:
- Evaluates, certifies, monitors and documents student athletes' academic eligibility for sports participation under both club sports and administrative bylaws. Reconciles and verifies data for all eligibility certificates. Assures security for all student records.
- Evaluates, certifies, monitors and documents VA Chapter Benefits eligibility and certifies benefits with the Department of Veterans Affairs. Processes Enrollment Verification Requests for CHAMPVA or other veteran related requests.
- Within the guidelines established by the UC Legal - Office of General Counsel and the process established by the Campus Residence Deputy, evaluates data provided on the Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) and independently renders residency determinations for new and returning students and for continuing students requesting change of residency status; determines when additional informational documentation is required.
- Analyzes various documents, including financial (such as bank statements, tax returns, UGMA trust account statements, loan notes) immigration, marriage, veterans, school housing and employment, when pertinent to the residence decision.
20% - Regulations, Procedures and Compliance
Interprets regulations and develops, recommends or implements procedures to ensure compliance and accurate student record maintenance and services. Reconciles large volumes of student data from multiple sources. Identifies and resolves mismatches and errors:
- Keeps abreast of changes, interprets and acts on various UCSC club sports, conference and campus regulations affecting student athletes and students in general. Attends and participates in conferences, seminars, and meetings on a local, regional and statewide basis to develop and maintain professional knowledge of club sports and policies/procedures.
- Suggests changes to procedures within areas based on changes in rules and regulations. Integrates Senate program approvals into programming of degree audit.
- Keeps abreast of the veterans benefit policy and procedure changes. Develops new, or makes changes to existing, veteran forms and workflow processes.
- Submits the California State Approving Agency catalog approval annually.
- Submits the DoD Memorandum of Understanding and updates the MOU annual tuition and fees.
- Serves as a VA Certifying Official and specialized resource for all the Veterans Benefits programs.
- Ensures that changes to student status that affect eligibility for benefits are promptly reported to the DVA.
10% - Department Advising
Advises departments on existing student record procedures, resources and options available:
- Keeps abreast of changes, interprets and acts on club sports, and UCSC regulations affecting student athletes and students in general. Attends and participates in conferences, seminars and meetings on a local, regional and statewide basis to develop and maintain professional knowledge of club sports policies and procedures.
- Suggests changes to procedures within area based on changes in rules and regulations. Integrates Senate program approvals into programming of degree audit.
- Liaise with Financial Aid Office; provides verification to FA Office of student's VA benefits and changes to benefits.
- Reviews petitions for withdrawal/leave of absence for appropriate endorsements and conformance with campus policy.
10% - Maintenance of Student Record Systems
Participates in decision-making and testing process regarding the development and maintenance of student record systems. Identifies and implements database elements, queries and reports needed to monitor programs. Recommends new or revised internal practices and procedures. Coordinates with campus departments, other UC campuses, and external agencies to implement and evaluate student-focused activities, programs and services:
- Drafts and updates published information about the various benefit programs and veterans services on campus and on-line resources.
- Works on special projects or assignments, as required, to assist the office in achieving its objectives.
- Analyzes processes and business process requirements, and transforms those requirements into new programming specifications, as needed, to specific technical system staff.
- Utilize InfoView reports to proactively audit and correct student records in preparation for athletic certification (student athletes) to ensure records are accurate and up to date. Provide suggestions or report enhancements or new reports as appropriate.
- Develops and implements new or revised internal practices and procedures related to Veterans Benefits in accordance with the School Certifying Official Handbook.
- Meets with Athletics and Recreation Department staff to review appropriate campus and club policies and procedures for club sports certification.
- Serves as a resource on Veterans Education Benefits regulations and policies. Provides training on programs to internal and external department staff.
- Facilitates requests from student club groups and Athletics and Recreation Department, and ensures adherence to appropriate campus and club policies and procedures.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Ability to apply thorough knowledge of policies to a variety of individual situations.
- Strong problem identification, critical thinking and problem solving skills; judgment and decision-making ability. Demonstrated ability to assess processes and implement improvements.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Strong written skills.
- Strong verbal communication skills and active listening skills.
- Strong customer service orientation and interpersonal skills.
- Thorough knowledge of common University-specific computer application programs and productivity software such as email, internet and Google and Microsoft suite of applications.
- Working knowledge and demonstrated ability to analyze large volumes of data and use complex relational databases such as PeopleSoft and Business Objects.
- Demonstrated ability to work with people from diverse cultures and ability to utilizes excellent constituent service skills with all interactions.
- Strong ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with campus departments, UC campuses and external agencies.
- Thorough knowledge of policies, regulations, and practices with student records services in the areas of Department of Veterans Affairs, Athletics certification, registration, and residency policies, regulations and practices.
- Thorough knowledge of University policies, processes, and procedures and of Federal and California laws pertaining to the privacy rights of students and access to student information.
- Knowledge of club sports and NCAA compliance policies, processes and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of particular Registrar core functions (e.g., degree requirements, special enrollment, veterans' benefits and residency).
- Thorough knowledge of advising and counseling techniques.
- Demonstrated experience and cultural competency working with veteran, international; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer (LGBTQ+); African American; and/or disabled student populations.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
- Selected candidate has the option to work a hybrid work schedule. If a hybrid work schedule is confirmed, the selected candidate must be able to work successfully from a home/remote office and be able to fulfill the requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
- This position requires the ability to report to campus to work in-person as operationally required, with reasonable notice as determined by your manager; travel expenses not covered.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as directed.
- Ability to occasionally work overtime with little or no advance notice.
- Ability to respond to emergencies after hours as necessary.
- Ability to work overtime including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays to meet operational needs, and work an alternate work schedule shift as required.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete training within established time frames as directed including UC compliance training.
Ability to travel nationally.
- Ability to maintain appearance and conduct suitable for working in a professional setting.
- The University of California has implemented a Vaccination Policy covering all employees. Employees, including new hires, are required to comply with any applicable policies relating to the University of California vaccine program.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency