Aquatics Coordinator-Recreational Sports
Job ID: 8098
Location: El Paso, TX
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Posting End Date
Open until filled
Earliest Start Date
As soon as possible
Hours per Week
40 hours weekly (flexibility required on evenings and weekends)
Required Application Materials
A resume, cover letter, and a list of 3 professional references are required to apply.
Please submit all documents in a single PDF file to be considered.
Purpose of Position
Under the direct supervision of the Associate Director of Programming, the Aquatics Coordinator manages the planning, development, and fulfilment of aquatic recreational programs, overseeing the branch budget and ensuring adequate staffing through supervisory duties and the management of payroll. This position is responsible for the operation of the swimming facility throughout the week and general facilities during the weekend.
- Recruit, hire, train, evaluate and supervise 25+ staff members employed as Lifeguard undergraduate assistants, swim instructors, student leaders, and graduate assistants.
- Create, maintain, and modify lifeguard schedules on a per-semester or as needed basis.
- Plan and conduct bi-weekly/monthly in-service sessions for lifeguards.
- Create and support professional development opportunities for the team, including professional association involvement, training programs, and mentoring.
- Create an environment that inspires innovation and effective student development outcomes.
- Forecast and operate the aquatics budget, offering recommendations, communicating requests, and maintaining records.
- Prepare and monitor income and expense budgets in accordance with UTEP protocols.
- Initiate, create and implement revenue driven programs facilitating the operational goals of the department.
- Coordinate all capital equipment purchases and projects with the Director in alignment with UTEP policy and procedures.
- Prepare periodic reports, financial statements, and records on program activities, progress, status or other special reports for management.
Project & Facility Management:
- Manage and supervise all areas of operation during the weekend (i.e., Outdoor Adventure Program, Membership Programs, and Fitness Programs).
- With oversight from Facility Operations, manage chemical and supply inventory for facility, assessing efficiency in use of supplies and maintaining high quality cost-control.
- Log, maintain, and assess facility usage and programming initiatives of the aquatics area via program reports, census forms, and impact reports.
- Log and maintain historical documentation of all accident/incident reports.
- Responsible for development and implementation of the safety and risk management procedures for aquatic programs and facilities.
- Conduct Lifeguard, WSI, CPR and First Aid classes, monitor certifications and training necessary to meet the highest industry standards available.
Program & Brand Development:
- Plan, staff, conduct, and assess all aquatic classes, university programming, and special events related to or scheduled in the aquatic center.
- Recruit program participants, members, and volunteers utilizing most appropriate promotional or marketing methods, such as individual letters, brochures or presentations at meetings.
- Develops, compiles, and work with Marketing to write communications and promotional material related to the aquatics center for distribution such as newsletters, brochures or flyers, coordinates process from development through internal and external marketing teams.
- Maintain excellent customer relations by communicating with participant/user groups/campus partners and responding to their needs in a timely manner.
- Direct, manage, mentor, and evaluate a team of student leaders and a large team of lifeguard personnel (including recruiting, hiring, training, etc.) to ensure safety and the quality of programs, practices and events.
- Participate in centralized strategic planning and initiatives
- Serve as a liaison between department and campus partners, including student organizations.
- Serve as a mentor to other site leaders as needed, providing guidance, support, and lessons learned.
- Serve as an aquatics subject matter expert and work closely to lead and assist students.
- Lead the aquatics team in contributing to the department strategic plan.
Strategic Accountability of the Aquatics Center:
- Develop and promote effective collaborative relationships among students, faculty, staff and alumni.
- Oversee evaluation and assessment in areas of student recruitment, retention and participant satisfaction.
- Build and maintain strong partnerships with other departments and affiliates on campus.
- Collaborate with and assist American Red Cross certified instructors working within the department to coordinate internal and external CPR/First Aid trainings.
- Manage special events, to include the preparation and management of event budgets; equipment organization, event set-up/breakdown and event scheduling support; serving as onsite event manager, responding and troubleshooting all issues during event operations.
- Develop and schedule program work plan in accordance with specifications and funding limitations; oversee daily operations and coordinate activities of program; determine priorities.
- Actively participate in internal and external committees designed to further the impact and reach of the university'svision and mission.
- Knowledge of all Microsoft Office software and able to learn and use institutional software systems.
- Comply with all State and University policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervises the Recreational Sports Department all programs and facilities related to aquatics and student staff.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Two years of experience related to the statement of duties and responsibilities; or equivalent combination of education and experience.The employee must be certified in: Lifeguard, Lifeguard Instructor and Water Safety Instructor.
Certified Pool and Spa Operator (CPO) or Aquatic Facility Operator (AFO).
Must be able to obtain certification within 6 months of employment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand; sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The University of Texas at El Paso is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or sexual orientation and gender in employment or the provision of services in accordance with state and federal law. Discrimination on the basis of sex includes an employee's or prospective employee's right to be free from sexual harassment under Title IX of the Higher Education Amendments of 1972.
In keeping with its Access and Excellence mission, The University of Texas at El Paso is committed to an open, diverse, and inclusive learning and working environment that honors the talents, respects the differences, and nurtures the growth and development of all. We seek to attract faculty and staff who share our commitment.
To apply, visit https://zahr-prd-candidate-ada.utshare.utsystem.edu/psp/ZAHRPRDADA/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=2&JobOpeningId=8098&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-bc874a00f058654c8710826851a6c070